Corvid-19 Impact on NLSWPA Events

Hi all

I am writing to you to try and keep you fully informed regarding the unprecedented situation we currently face due to the current coronavirus pandemic. The world we currently live in, is one that is totally different from last month. We now find ourselves having to change our way of life in order to try and save the lives of others and help our NHS, carers, emergency services, logistics, cleaners, and many, many more vital people. I would like to thank all these special people who are working around the clock to ensure we have everything we need, so we can beat this virus. As you know we have a duty and responsibility to ensure that the health, safety and wellbeing to all members of the public, not just those in the swimming community, but to all people.
Tonight the swimming and development committee met (via zoom conference call, not in person) to discuss the remainder of the 2019-2020 swimming season. We discussed all areas around North Lancs swimming and water polo association and activities and have concluded that the following will take immediate effect.

2020 swim league.
The remaining fixture for the 2020 season which is due on 20th June will be postponed. There are plans to try and swim this fixture later in the year to try and complete the fixture, however if this cannot be completed then the 2020 swim league season will be cancelled and records will show this.

2020 Level 3 meet.
The 2020 North Lancs level 3 meet schedule for 11th & 12th July will be cancelled. This decision has not been taken lightly, but we believe it is the correct decision. Therefore the Level 3 meet will be cancelled for 2020. I can only apologise for this but in the best interest of everybody concerned we (the committee) believe this decision to be correct.

2020 Level 2meet.
At the time of writing we are planning to hold the level 2 meet as planned however this will be changed slightly to be as fair to as many swimmers as possible. For the 2020-21 season the Level 2 meet will become a level 3 meet. This will be to try and encompass as many swimmers as possible, to try and hopefully re-introduce athletes back into competition. Please don’t worry as you can still get county and regional qualifying times from a level 3 meet. The committee will be looking at the programme and qualification times for this meet as soon as possible and we will inform you on all developments once we have confirmed.

Water Polo
As some of you will know we are trying hard to re-introduce water polo within the association, sadly this has had to be put on hold due to the pandemic, but please can I assure all involved with water polo that we are still committed to this re-introduction as soon as circumstances allow.

The swimming and development committee will be reviewing all aspects of our association activities during the next 6-8 weeks, the exec meetings will be cancelled until September at the earliest, however we will continue to send updates to delegates and members as best we can, in the meantime can I please thank you for patience, understanding and support during these uncertain times.
Finally On behalf of the NLSWPA I would just like to wish you, your families and your communities the very best of health. Please stay safe, stay at home, help the NHS and help save lives.

Steve Heaps
President NLSWPA.

3rd April 2020



Executive Meeting Cancelled

In light of the unprecedented situation regarding the current Corona Virus outbreak and Government guidance to keep social contact to a minimum, we have cancelled the Executive meeting due to be held on Monday 6th April.
There is no particularly pressing business that requires us to meet at this juncture.
With Regional swimming events effectively suspended until at least early May, it does bring into question whether the third round of Swim League and the Level 3 meet, scheduled for June & July respectively, will actually go ahead.
The Swimming Committee will keep these matters under review and report back to you on any decisions/recommendations.
Janice may well circulate the pack for the Level 3 meet but with a later closing date for entries and instructions not to remit funds/entries until we know for certain that the meet is going ahead.
Hopefully matters will have settled down and returned to some level of normality before the Level 2 Champs in the autumn and Steve and Janice will continue to work on the programme for that meet.
Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
Please stay safe and well.


Swim League R2 Cancelled


Dear All

The North Lancs committee recently posted guidance on our website regarding Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). It is widely expected that today, the government will announce that it is stepping up its response to the Coronavirus aimed at delaying its spread, rather than trying contain the spread.

This move should it be deemed correct would not be unexpected given that health officials have been making clear that we should expect widespread community transmission. As an organisation that promotes health and well being amongst all our community and beyond, I think it is only responsible that we do our bit to try and ensure the we also try to protect the most vulnerable people within the community from this virus. As an organisation we have a duty and responsibility to try and protect our athletes, officials, teachers, coaches, volunteers as much as possible, we are also duty bound to ensure we have the best interest of staff at our pool providers and the wider community at heart, as well as the possible demands the NHS may (or may not) face.

Taking all of the above into consideration, the difficult decision has been made to postpone this weekend’s North Lancashire Swim League gala at Palatine Leisure Centre on Saturday 14th March 2020. I hope you will join me in supporting this postponement. At the time of writing it is still our intention to swim Round 3 as planned on Saturday 20th June 2020 and we will endeavour to find a suitable date (if possible and agreeable with all competing clubs) to cover this postponement and complete the Swim League season in full. The swimming committee will be in discussions regarding this as soon as is possible and we will aim to keep you all fully informed.

Steve Heaps (President)



Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance


The Following Guidance has been issued by Swim England


The welfare of all our athletes, coaches, workforce and volunteers is of paramount importance.

This communication is designed to inform, rather than alarm, and contains relevant links to the most up-to-date guidance from the Government and Public Health England regarding novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

  • The Government has issued advice around travel to and from certain areas as the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) situation develops. Please read the latest advice here. This is updated regularly.
  • It is our expectation that Swim England members will comply with the latest Government and NHS guidance. This can be found on the Public Health England website. If you feel unwell, please call NHS 111 for advice.
  • Swim England will be continuing to plan for our events as normal but we will be following Government guidance and assessing risk as appropriate. We will be issuing specific guidance regarding forthcoming Swim England events as necessary to those due to attend. 
  • We would advise clubs to also carry out appropriate risk assessments and comply with all Government advice when planning any future activities. 

Many thanks for your cooperation.


Welcome to newly affiliated club Prescot

We would like to welcome our newest club, Prescot Swimming Club, into membership of the Association.

Founded in 1967 with their base at Knowsley Leisure and Culture Park, the club is run entirely by volunteers.

We very much look forward to competing against the Prescot swimmers in our Competitions and their contribution to the life of the Association.